This week’s prompt for Top Ten Tuesday brought to you by Broke and Bookish is a fun one! It deals with my favorite of all things, fairytales. Now, I am going to do things a little different this week so keep reading!
Three Fairytale Retellings I’ve Read
1. Beauty by Robin McKinley: I read this one a long time ago so I don’t remember much of it. Maybe someday I will pick it up again.
2. Grimm Fairytales: This one feels like I’m cheating a little bit and maybe I am. But, if you’ve ever read this version of Sleeping Beauty you would be…well, I’ll let you figure out what you’d be.
3. Wild Orchid: A Retelling of “The Ballad of Mulan” by Cameron Dokey: Okay, again this is an old one but Mulan is one of my favorite Disney “Princess” and was nice to see the differences between this story and the Disney version!
Three Fairytale Retellings I Want to Read
1. The Lunar Chronicles by Merissa Meyers: Okay, shoot me now I haven’t read one of these books. I am currently reading Cinder so I am not completely hopeless!
2. Uprooted by Naomi Novik: I have wanted to read this story since I have found out about this being a Beauty and the Beast kind of book. Along with Mulan, Beauty and the Beast happens to be my favorite Disney Princess. Who wouldn’t want that library?
3. Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire: I have a little bit of an idea of what this one is about but I am not going to lie I am drawn in by the cover. I want to know what it was like for the stepsisters and what happened after Cinderella went away!
Three Retellings I Wish Someone Would Write
1. Swan Princess: I know, this isn’t the original story anyway, but I loved the Swan Princess as a young girl. I loved the scene where the two characters were forced to grow up together! Ah, that would make a fun few scenes I think.
2. Any of the Greek Myths: What can I say, I love the Greek mythology. Take your pick, there are a lot of stories that the right author could do wonders with!
3. Beauty and the Beast in the eyes of the Beast: Maybe this has been done, but I think that this would be on par with being a great story if given the right touches. I know this was already done in the guise of Beastly but I think that I would like a fantasy world better.